Saturday, September 26, 2009

Fool's Gold

Fool's Gold: How the Bold Dream of a Small Tribe at J.P. Morgan Was Corrupted by Wall Street Greed and Unleashed a Catastrophe Fool's Gold: How the Bold Dream of a Small Tribe at J.P. Morgan Was Corrupted by Wall Street Greed and Unleashed a Catastrophe by Gillian Tett


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
If you're like me, making sense of the economic implosion has been difficult. I am lucky if I can balance my checking account. So, the whole world of "derivatives" and "complex investment vehicles" generally soars right above my head.

That is, until I stumbled upon Gillian Tett's book, Fool's Gold. Now, I am still no economic expert, but I feel like Tett has provided me with a primer to sort through the mess brought about by a small band of investment bankers who left a devastating trail of destruction through the livelihoods of many.

Fool's Gold tells the story of how a small group of investment bankers cooked up a scheme that ultimately led to the crash of 2008. It is not a pretty story. It is one filled with greed, arrogance and blind faith in the so-called "free market." Although the narrative sometimes gets bogged down in acronyms, it is worth the effort. Highly recommend for those of us who don't hang out on Wall Street.


View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment